Translate

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Kakistocracy


















I am so disgusted with the choice of candidates in the US presidential election of 2016,  that I found this for me new word  from Peggy Noonan’s  WSJ  article  The Week They Decided He Was Crazy  quite appropriate:

“I end with a new word, at least new to me. A friend called it to my attention. It speaks of the moment we’re in. It is “kakistocracy,” from the Greek. It means government by the worst persons, by the least qualified or most unprincipled. We’re on our way there, aren’t we? We’re going to have to make our way through it together.”



 Etymology
Ancient Greek κάκιστος (kákistos, worst), superlative of κακός (kakós, bad) + -κρατια (-kratia, power, rule, government).

Pronunciation


/kækɪsˈtɑkɹəsi/

Noun

kakistocracy (plural kakistocracies)
Government under the control of a nation's worst or least-qualified citizens.