Translate

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Marco Rubio: A Leader Shouldn't 'Stoke People's Anger'




Marco Rubio:

"Last night in Chicago we saw images that make America look like a third world country. I am by no means telling you that the people that showed up at the rally to disrupt it are blameless. They are clearly professional agitators who went there with the intention of disrupting an event for a speaker they don’t agree with. There are things about that speaker I don’t agree with, that is why I am running for president against him. 

 But there is a developing trend among the American Left that if we don’t like what you talk about, we are going to disrupt your events, we are going to blow up your events. And they have done that on college campuses all across America. So I am by no means saying that they are blameless in all this. They were acting like thugs last night, too many of them.

The job of a true leader is not to stoke people’s anger. 

The job of a true leader is not to say I know you are in pain and so what I am going to do is I am going to use your pain to make you even more painful, more angry so that you vote for me instead of someone else. Because when you do that, there are consequences. 

 People find it appealing and refreshing that a political candidate says whatever is on their mind. Presidents cannot say whatever is on their mind. They can’t. We don’t allow our children to say whatever is on their mind, at least I hope we don’t. There are a lot of things on my mind. There are a lot of things on your mind. There are a lot of things you wish you could say, but don’t say, not because you are politically correct, not because you do not want to offend anyone, not because you are afraid. You do not say it because it is wrong to do it. It is wrong to do it. Because every society must be governed by rules of discourse. Because once you lose the rules of discourse, you lose the discourse."