Translate

Thursday, July 7, 2022

An encounter at Maccabi

 


Yesterday morning at 8:00 am sharp I went for a blood test at Maccabi and started talking amicably with the Russian nurse while she was drawing my blood about what languages I speak since she wanted to know where I know Russian from. So, I briefly explained and then I remembered the film Broken Ties and suggested she see it, as I do to everyone, particularly Russians, these days. She asked me how I know about the film, and I said I was following events closely and explained briefly what the film was about. “You know”, she said, “it is happening in my family too.”   Then she added – “which side are you on?”  “Ukraine”, I said. Her eyes widened, the visible part of her face went pale (both of us had masks on) and she said “OK, that’s it, goodbye”. 

I almost laughed and said: “I’m sorry I ruined your day”, but we managed to talk another few minutes.  “What can you expect from a comic?”, she said, to which I said that Ronald Reagan was an actor and turned out to be one of the better presidents.

I managed to show her the link to Broken Ties and she will watch it. Of course, the probability that she would change her mind is almost nil, but what matters is that we managed to talk about in a calm and pleasant way.