Op-Ed: Are You Stupid?
I could not possibly have read this statement correctly, I thought to myself the first time I read it. So, I read it again. After the fifteenth time, I finally had to admit that I was really reading these words. What do you mean, you "may have to" change the EU's stand? "May have to"?
How many deaths does it take to understand that Hamas is a terrorist organization? What ages must their victims be, what sex, what nationality? If you will not believe the Israelis, Mr. Gourdault-Mondagne, perhaps you would believe the Hamas themselves.
Below is a very partial list of terror attacks for which Hamas claimed responsibility. From their own mouths, they brand themselves the murderers of infants, children of all ages, pregnant women, old men and women. They have murdered hundreds, orphaned and maimed thousands more.
After reading the list, I can think of only two possible reasons that France and the European Union would not immediately freeze Hamas? assets and publicly label them as the terrorist organization they show themselves to be. One reason would be that the vast majority of Hamas? victims are Jews, and clearly history has shown that Europe?s reaction to the murder of Jews is tainted by its inherent anti-Semitism. The second reason can only be utter stupidity. Your choice, Mr. Gourdault-Mondagne.
Read the list below and then I hope, given the ?clear cut? evidence, you will agree that it is time to ?change the EU?s stand.?
* On August 19, 2003, twenty-one people were killed and over 130 wounded in a suicide bombing of an Egged bus in Jerusalem. Hamas, Islamic Jihad and Hizbollah all claimed responsibility. The victims: Goldie Taubenfeld, 43, the mother of 13, and her son Shmuel, 5 months, of the US; Lilach Kardi, 22, who was in the ninth month of pregnancy; Yaakov Binder, 50; Shalom Mordechai Reinitz, 49, and his son, Yissaschar Dov, 9; Elisheva Meshulami, 16; Rabbi Chanoch Segal, 65; Menachem Leibel, 24; Shmuel Zargari, 11 months old; Rabbi Eliezer Weisfish, 42; Miriam Eisenstein, 20; Chava Rechnitzer, 19; Rabbi Shmuel Volner, 50; Binyamin Bergman, 15; Liba Schwartz, 57; Avraham Bar-Or, 12; Faige Dushinsky, 50; Tehila Nathanson, 3; Rachel Weiss, 70; Marie Antonia, 39, of the Philippines.
* On August 12, 2003, Erez Hershkovitz, 18, was murdered at a bus stop outside Ariel when a Palestinian suicide bomber, 17, detonated himself. Three others were seriously wounded in the attack, which was claimed by Hamas.
* On June 20, 2003, gunmen opened fire on a passing car, killing Tsvi Goldstein, 47, and wounding his wife and parents on their way to join their son, who had been married the night before. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
* On Mar 7, 2003, Rabbi Eli Horowitz, 52, and his wife Dina, 50, were killed and five wounded by armed terrorists disguised as Jewish worshipers, while they were celebrating the Sabbath. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
* On Mar 5, 2003, sixteen people were killed and 55 wounded in a suicide bombing of an Egged bus en route to Haifa University. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
* On Nov 21, 2002, eleven people were killed and some 50 wounded by a suicide bomber on a bus in Jerusalem. The bus was filled with passengers, including schoolchildren, traveling toward the center of the city during rush hour. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack. The victims: Hodaya Asraf, 13; Marina Bazarski, 46; Hadassah (Yelena) Ben-David, 32; Sima Novak, 56; Kira Perlman, 67, and her grandson Ilan Perlman, 8; Yafit Ravivo, 14; Ella Sharshevsky, 44, and her son Michael Sharshevsky, 16; Mircea Varga, 25, a tourist from Romania; Dikla Zino, 22.
* On Nov 6, 2002, Assaf Tzfira, 18, and Amos Sa'ada, 52, were killed when a Palestinian terrorist opened fire in a hothouse and textile factory at Pe'at Sadeh. The terrorist was killed by a security officer. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
* On Oct 10, 2002, Sa'ada Aharon, 71, was killed and about 30 people were wounded when a suicide bomber blew himself up while trying to board a bus across from Bar-Ilan University. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
* On Sept 19, 2002, Solomon Hoenig, 79, Yossi Mamistavlov, 39, Yaffa Shemtov, 49, Rosanna Siso, 63, Ofer Zinger, 29, and Jonathan (Yoni) Jesner, 19, of Glasgow, Scotland, were killed and about 70 people were wounded when a terrorist detonated a bomb in a Tel-Aviv bus. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
* On Aug 4, 2002, nine people were killed and some 50 wounded in a suicide bombing of a bus traveling from Haifa to Safed. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack. The victims: Mordechai Yehuda Friedman, 24; Sari Goldstein, 21; Maysoun Amin Hassan, 19; Marlene Menahem, 22; Sgt.-Maj. Roni Ghanem, 28; Sgt. Yifat Gavrieli, 19; Sgt. Omri Goldin, 20; Adelina Kononen, 37, of the Philippines; Rebecca Roga, 40, of the Philippines.
* On July 31, 2002, nine people, four Israelis and five foreign nationals, were killed and 85 injured, 14 of them seriously, when a bomb exploded in a cafeteria on the Hebrew University's Mt. Scopus campus. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack. The victims: David Diego Ladowski, 29; Levina Shapira, 53; Marla Bennett, 24, of California (US); Benjamin Blutstein, 25, of Pennsylvania (US); Dina Carter, 37, (US); Janis Ruth Coulter, 36, of Massachusetts (US); David Gritz, 24, (US-France). Daphna Spruch, 61, died of her wounds on August 10. Revital Barashi, 30, died of her wounds on August 13.
* On June 18, 2002, 19 people were killed and 74 were injured, six seriously, in a suicide bombing at the Patt junction in Egged bus no. 32A. The bus, which was completely destroyed, was carrying many students on their way to school. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack. The victims: Boaz Aluf, 54; Shani Avi-Zedek, 15; Leah Baruch, 59; Mendel Bereson, 72; Rafael Berger, 28; Michal Biazi, 24; Tatiana Braslavsky, 41; Galila Bugala, 11; Raisa Dikstein, 67; Dr. Moshe Gottlieb, 70; Baruch Gruani, 60; Orit Hayla, 21; Helena Ivan, 63; Iman Kabha, 26; Shiri Negari, 21; Gila Nakav, 55; Yelena Plagov, 42; Liat Yagen, 24; Rahamim Zidkiyahu, 51.
* On June 8, 2002, Eyal Sorek, 23, his wife Yael, 24, 9 months pregnant, and Shalom Mordechai, 35, of Nahariya were killed and five others injured when terrorists infiltrated the community of Carmei Tzur and opened fire at 2:30am on Friday night. The Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
* On May 19, 2002, Yosef Haviv, 70, Victor Tatrinov, 63, and Arkady Vieselman, 40, all , were killed and 59 people were injured, 10 seriously, when a suicide bomber, disguised as a soldier, blew himself up in the market in Netanya. Both Hamas and the PFLP took responsibility for the attack.
* On May 7, 2002, 15 people were killed and 55 wounded in a crowded game club in Rishon Lezion by a suicide bomber. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
* On Apr 27, 2002, Danielle Shefi, 5, Arik Becker, 22, Katrina (Katya) Greenberg, 45, and Ya'acov Katz, 51, were killed when terrorists dressedin IDF uniforms and combat gear entered Adora. Seven other people were injured, one seriously. Both Hamas and the PFLP claimed responsibility for the attack.
* On Mar 31, 2002, 15 people were killed and over 40 injured in a suicide bombing in Haifa, in the Matza restaurant of the gas station near the Grand Canyon shopping mall. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack. The victims: Suheil Adawi, 32; Dov Chernobroda, 67; Shimon Koren, 55; his sons Ran, 18, and Gal, 15; Moshe Levin, 52; Danielle Manchell, 22; Orly Ofir, 16; Aviel Ron, 54; his son Ofer, 18, and daughter Anat, 21; Ya'akov Shani, 53; Adi Shiran, 17; Daniel Carlos Wegman, 50. Carlos Yerushalmi, 52.
* On Mar 28, 2002, Rachel and David Gavish, 50, their son Avraham Gavish, 20, and Rachel's father Yitzhak Kanner, 83, were killed when a terrorist infiltrated the community of Elon Moreh in Samaria, entered their home and opened fire on its inhabitants. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
* On Mar 27, 2002, 29 people were killed and 140 injured, 20 seriously, in a suicide bombing in the Park Hotel in the coastal city during the Passover holiday seder. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack. The victims: Shula Abramovitch, 63; David Anichovitch, 70; Sgt.-Maj. Avraham Beckerman, 25; Shimon Ben-Aroya, 42; Andre Fried, 47; Idit Fried, 47; Miriam Gutenzgan, 82; Ami Hamami, 44; Perla Hermele, 79, of Sweden; Dvora Karim, 73; Michael Karim, 78; Yehudit Korman, 70; Marianne Myriam Lehmann Zaoui, 77; Lola Levkovitch, 85; Furuk Na'imi, 62; Eliahu Nakash, 85; Irit Rashel, 45; Yulia Talmi, 87; St.-Sgt. Sivan Vider, 20; Ernest Weiss, 79; Eva Weiss, 75; Meir (George) Yakobovitch, 76; Chanah Rogan, 92; Zee'v Vider, 50; Alter Britvich, 88, and his wife Frieda, 86; Sarah Levy-Hoffman, 89; Anna Yakobovitch, 78; and Eliezer Korman.
* On Mar 9, 2002, Limor Ben-Shoham, 27, Nir Borochov, 22, Danit Dagan, 25, Livnat Dvash, 28, Tali Eliyahu, 26, Uri Felix, 25, Dan Imani, 23, Natanel Kochavi, 31, Baruch Lerner, 29, Orit Ozerov, 28, Avraham Haim Rahamim, 28, were killed and 54 injured, 10 of them seriously, by a suicide bomber in a crowded cafe in Jerusalem. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
* On Feb 6, 2002, Miri Ohana, 45, and her daughter Yael, 11, were murdered in their home when an armed terrorist infiltrated Moshav Hamra. IDF reserve soldier, St.-Sgt. Maj.(res.) Moshe Majos Meconen, 33, was also killed in the attack. The terrorist entered the Ohana home disguised in IDF uniform. Both Fatah and Hamas claimed responsibility.
* On Dec 12, 2001, Yair Amar, 13, Esther Avraham, 42, Border Police Chief Warrant Officer Yoel Bienenfeld, 35, Moshe Gutman, 40, Avraham Nahman Nitzani, 17, Yirmiyahu Salem, 48, Israel Sternberg, 46, David Tzarfati, 38, Hananya Tzarfati, 32, Ya'akov Tzarfati, 64, were killed when three terrorists attacked a bus and several passenger cars with a roadside bomb, anti-tank grenades and light arms fire near the entrance to Emmanuel. About 30 others were injured. Haim Chiprot, 52, died of his wounds on March 25, 2002. Both Fatah and Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
* On Dec 2, 2001, Tatiana Borovik, 23, Mara Fishman, 51, Ina Frenkel, 60, Riki Hadad, 30, Ronen Kahalon, 30, Samion Kalik, 64, Mark Khotimliansky, 75, Cecilia Kozamin, 76, Yelena Lomakin, 62, Rosaria Reyes, 42, of the Philippines, Yitzhak Ringel, 41, Rassim Safulin, 78, Leah Strick, 73, Faina Zabiogailu, 64, Mikhail Zaraisky, 71, were killed and 40 injured in a suicide bombing on an bus in Haifa. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
* On Dec 1, 2001, Assaf Avitan, 15, Michael Moshe Dahan, 21, Israel Ya'akov Danino, 17, Yosef El-Ezra, 18, Sgt. Nir Haftzadi, 19, Yuri (Yoni) Korganov, 20, Golan Turgeman, 15, Guy Vaknin, 19, Adam Weinstein, 14, and Moshe Yedid-Levy, 19, were killed and about 180 injured by two suicide bombers in Jerusalem. Ido Cohen, 17, died of his wounds on December 8. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
* On Aug 9, 2001, Giora Balash, 60, of Brazil, Zvika Golombek, 26, Shoshana Yehudit Greenbaum, 31, of the U.S., Tehila Maoz, 18, Frieda Mendelsohn, 62, Michal Raziel, 16, Malka Roth, 15, Mordechai Schijveschuurder, 43, Tzira Schijveschuurder, 41, Ra'aya Schijveschuurder, 14, Avraham Yitzhak Schijveschuurder, 4, Hemda Schijveschuurder, 2, Lily Shimashvili, 33, Tamara Shimashvili, 8, and Yocheved Shoshan, 10, were killed and about 130 injured in a suicide bombing at the Sbarro pizzeria in Jerusalem. Hamas and the Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the attack.
* On May 18, 2001, Tirza Polonsky, 66, Miriam Waxman, 51, David Yarkoni, 53, Yulia Tratiakova, 21, and Vladislav Sorokin, 34, were killed in a suicide bombing in Netanya, in which over 100 were wounded. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
* On Mar 28, 2001, Eliran Rosenberg-Zayat, 15, and Naftali Lanzkorn, 13, were killed in a suicide bombing at the Mifgash Hashalom ("peace stop") gas station near the entrance to Kalkilya. Four people were injured. Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.
Maurice Gourdault-Montagne, Hamas is a terrorist organization. What, are you stupid?